Wednesday, March 26, 2008

[From Monty] Dean Smith Sends His Greetings

We're in Kathmandu, departing for Lukla 5am tomorrow.  Latest word is that my bags should chase us up the route and catch up in two days.
 
What happened will some day, I'm sure, be humorous, but just not quite yet.  There's another climber on the trip named Dean Smith; I'm Monty Dean Smith (or Montgomery Dean Francis Smith to be precise).
 
While checking in in LA, Thai Airlines couldn't find the reservation, but soon enough found it. 
But boarding the plane, two of us had the same seat assignment – Dean Smith and me.  Seems they pulled up his info and gave me his boarding pass, and him an identical one.  So according to Thai, Monty Smith never boarded the plane, and his bags were never sent on.  The irony here is that Thai has assured me this cannot happen – the system will not issue two boarding passes.
 
More snafu on the Bangkok-Kathmandu leg, where they forced me to buy a second ticket while keeping the entire plane waiting.  So here I am in Kathmandu, and they say my bags should arrive tomorrow, but after we've started the trek to base camp.  The plan is – one of the staff get the bags, bring them on his flight to Lukla, and then hustle them atop a porter to Namche, reaching me in only two more days.  By then I *may* be ready for fresh socks and underwear; but I'll have to wait and see how I feel or whether I've become too attached to these (or whether they're too attached to me).
 
So Kathmandu is every bit as endearing as always.  Noisy, crowded, and just a nice place to say goodbye to.  I had a perfectly wonderful day waiting for hours at the Thai Airlines office, followed by shopping for a few last minute items.  But at least I did find a like-new $1000 Mtn Hardwear one-piece down suit for only $220.  I have a down parka and pants, but the suit does work better at keeping the wind out.
 
Tomorrow we fly to Lukla and start the eleven-day trek to BC.  We'll take a rest days at Namche Bazaar, where I'm hoping my luggage catches up.  In the meantime I'm borrowing hiking shoes (I'm presently wearing Crocs) and schlepping extra stuff in Val's bag.
 
So let's see – other than that, the handle on the laptop carrier/briefcase broke on day one, and the satphone won't connect in Kathmandu no way no how.  Small details, but all just adding to the frustration.  Val's been kind while I vented; 'nuff said.
 
Tonight was a full-team welcome dinner at a nice bar in Kathmandu; some 30-40 people including trekkers, guides, and additional guided parties signed onto IMG's permit/logistics.  That doesn't include the staff, of whom we'll meet in Lukla.  Seems like a great bunch of folks; clearly some climbers, some adventure-seekers.
 
- Monty


Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

No comments: